by Transposh - translation plugin for wordpress

The Safest Ice-Melt Products For Your Pets This Winter

dogs walking in snow through soho

Ice-melt crystals, ubiquitous in winter, can be toxic if ingested by pets and can cause severe irritation to paws, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

The Claim: A growing number of ice-melt products are labeled as safer for pets.

The Verdict: Ice-melt products labeled as pet safe vary widely, and some contain at least some ingredients that aren’t actually safe for pets, veterinarians say. Products made mostly from urea, also an ingredient in fertilizer, are gentlest on paws and least likely to cause poisoning, they say.

“We recommend using a urea-based product. We don’t recommend any particular brand,” says Tina Wismer, medical director of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, Ill.

Safe Paw Ice Melter was an early entry in the market for ice-melt products safer for pets. ENLARGE
Safe Paw Ice Melter was an early entry in the market for ice-melt products safer for pets. PHOTO: STEVE VERNIK
Safe Paw Ice Melter, from Gaia Enterprises Inc., Huntingdon Valley, Pa., was an early entry on the market, in 1995. Another is Safe-T-Pet from Morton Salt Inc., of Chicago, introduced in 2010. Neither company has done animal studies on its products, the companies say. Gaia employees occasionally down a mouthful themselves at trade shows to demonstrate its safety, says Gaia director of operations Steven Vernik.


The pet-friendly category has been growing fast due to consumer interest. Morton says its internal research shows that nearly a quarter of ice-melt customers are looking for pet-safe products, says Brian Grindley, senior brand manager for Ice Melt. Since dogs generally walk a whole neighborhood, “this is not just a product for people who have dogs. It is a product for people who have neighbors that have dogs.”

Standard ice melts are made from a variety of different salts, including rock salt, or calcium chloride, all of which can be toxic to pets if ingested.

The small amount a dog might lick off its paws won’t cause more than drooling or vomiting, but a couple of mouthfuls can raise salt levels in the brain and cause seizures or even death, says Ahna Brutlag, associate director of veterinary services and senior veterinary toxicologist at Pet Poison Helpline, affiliated with the University of Minnesota’s College of Veterinary Medicine. “When we see serious poisoning, it is almost always dogs, and it is almost always when the dog has chewed through the bag,” she says.

During Boston’s historic snowstorms last year, Angell Animal Medical Center, a large veterinary hospital, had one dog die from ice-melt poisoning, says senior staff veterinarian Virginia Sinnott. A more common problem, she says, is cracked, irritated paws—sometimes so severe they bleed, she says.

Urea products are much less irritating because they don’t pull water from paws as much as salts do, veterinarians say. If eaten, urea is nontoxic to dogs, though it may cause vomiting or diarrhea, says the ASPCA’s Dr. Wismer. But country dwellers, beware—urea can be toxic to ruminants such as cows and goats, she adds.

In buying ice melts, it is important to look at the ingredients, veterinarians say. Some products contain blends of urea and salt, so they could still be toxic and irritating to paws. Others contain magnesium chloride, a salt which is less irritating to paws than regular rock salt, but less gentle than urea, Dr. Wismer says.

Pet-safe ice melts are generally more expensive than standard rock salt, and may not be as effective at low temperatures at melting ice. Morton’s Safe-T-Pet melts ice in temperatures as low as 10 degrees Fahrenheit, while its Safe-T-Salt product, containing rock salt, is effective down to 5 degrees. Products made with another salt, calcium chloride, melt to much lower temperatures, but those are even more irritating to paws than rock salt, Dr. Wismer says.

To protect your dog on winter walks, veterinarians recommend covering paws with booties and wiping them off with a wet cloth as soon as you get back into the house. It is also important to make sure your dog has access to water if it may have ingested ice melt, veterinarians say, as harm is more likely if a dog is dehydrated.

7-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise from Miami starting at $469/pp
Punta Cana
4 Days/3 Nights Grand Bahia Principe Punta Cana All Inclusive starting at $859
4 Days/3 Nights Holiday Inn Cartegena Morros starting at $749/pp
Fabulous Equinox Resort Manchester Vermont
Manchester, Vermont starting at $149/night


Best nude color for your lips: Use your nipple as a guide!

The physicians of the hit TV show, The Doctors, announced a new raw ...

Put Your Best Face Forward: Make Up Artist Lisa Eldridge fool-proof Make-Up Tips

From Love Editor-in-Chief Katie Grand and supermodel Kate Moss to ...

Bill Hudson, Father of Kate and Oliver Hudson, Breaks All Ties

New York Posts  Derrick Bryson Taylor reveals in Page Six that Bill ...

Young Swedish Mom blogs her way to a thriving Beauty Business

fer finding fame wih her lifesyle blog, Isabella Lowengrip wen on ...

13 Reasons Why Spring Sex Is So Hot

FINALLY. Spring is here, which means it's time to pack up your puffer ...


30% off Personalized Gifts Promo Code

© Copyright 2017 Manhattanbabe. All rights reserved.